Monday, January 7, 2013

CANCER- PLEASE HELP!!

My sweet baby girl was diagnosed with a cancer. They've never seen anything like it and cant figure out what it is, only that it's not good. It is in her front left leg. The same one she has hyperextension in from jumping out that second story window a few years back. Her blood work is excellent. Her appetite and exertion levels are the same. she's still my running, happy, playful pup. She uses her leg to run and walk and dance and play. Those of you that have played with Emmy know that she is quite skilled in using her dew claws ;) She has not lost any weight. Emily can see, hear, smell, taste, and feel just great. She has no health problems...outside this leg.
She had an ultrasound on Friday as well as an aspirate of the leg. Both came back normal. I saw the xrays of her leg though...it looks...heartbreaking :'(
I met Emily maybe 10yrs ago at a barn where I was boarding my horse. She was emaciated, like a stray trying to survive. She would come and go as she pleased. As time went on (and I fed her PB&J and turkey sandwiches) I learned that she belonged to the neighbor. He was a drug addict and neglected to feed her. She lived off the bunnies she could catch. A couple years later the neighbor needed a heart transplant. He left for California and gave Emily to his ex-wife. New Years day Emily was legally mine :) Some of you know me...some not so much. Emily is my whole world. She has been with me through both my horses crossing over, my boyfriend killing himself, cleaning up my act as a young adult, my brother going to Afghanistan, well over 13 moves, beginning and end of college, long nights and early mornings, she's my cuddle buddy and my exercise persuader, she was there when my mom went through surgery, my first dog passing away from heart cancer amoungst other pets as well, new jobs, endings of relationships and all the turmoil that goes with that. Emily helped me through a major depression and getting off the meds, graduations, nephews being born, traveling to California to see the Pacific for the first time, hiking trails in countless areas, new discoveries, and new loves. She's been there through all of it. She is my best friend, my guide, my dog, my 4-legged child. She is EVERYTHING to me. I must tell you, we are both extremely emotionally dependent on one another. If I took the test for one of those service dog vests, I can guarantee you she would have one. I can admit that.
So, my vet called yesterday. He said I had 2 options I could do chemo and radiation and dope her up on steroids. My other option is to stabilize her leg and keep her a comfortable as I can with pain pills as needed and to let her live. There's nothing he can do.
IF Emily breaks her front left leg, which is a high possibility given its state, I will have to euthanize her. It just kills me every time I even think of it. Putting my dog down because she broke her leg? I cry at the thought now. My friend urged me to see her vet. Whats a fourth opinion right??
So off we went for the fourth opinion. Another oncologist, another radiologist, another vet. Some hope in this tunnel of despair!! They said they believe that she has Osteaosarcoma. Cancer is not evident anywhere else in her body. I can amputate the leg and do a short round of chemo. This option will give her up to 2 year or longer of quality life!
This will allow her to run, play, fetch, dance, jump on the bed with me, take daily walks, LIVE her life as she is meant to- happy and pain free! And presumably cancer free too!!
No one deserves cancer. NO ONE.
Will you please help us get this surgery? Donations at the moment are in cash or check only. I will get a paypal donation page up soon. ALL PROCEEDS GO TO EMILYS VET BILLS. 100% ALL PROCEEDS.
My address is below. Also, if you have ever been to my one of my yoga classes, you know I sing at the end, for sound healing, sanskrit chants. I have an a-capella cd I will absolutely give you for a donation of $10. If you are out of the area I will ship it you as long as you cover S&H. Please help my baby girl gain a better life. Please.
Thank you beyond words. I hold each and everyone of you in my heart for your support, in whatever form that support comes from. Hand to heart, thank you!!

Channing Grivas
2482 Remington Rd
Elizabeth, CO 80107


1 comment:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed. Emily will be fine. Love, Rita Z.

    ReplyDelete